Aside from the benefits of providing employment to people who have no chance of employment on Earth, other incentives would make this alternative more financially attractive.
Thus a few things need to be worked out (to understate).
In what other real ways can human kind benefit from living and working off-world (at first the planets of our solar system, then as technology progresses, other solar systems)?
- Are there resources “out there” that can benefit the population on Earth?
- Will the very fact that we force ourselves to go off world lead to technological breakthroughs?
- What are these breakthroughs likely to be?
What kind of real investment would be needed in order enable humans to practically live and work in space and on other worlds?
- A workable and expandable Mars colony
- The space vehicles necessary to populate and supply such colonies
With adequate financial commitment, what time frame is likely for realizing practical colonnization?